Sunday, May 23, 2010

2009 My Major Surgery

Well, first off this will be a fairly long post, so if you're interested in reading it, you may want to get yourself a cup of coffee, or a cuppa tea, how about a soda pop or a beverage of your choice.

I had major surgery on my left knee last October 5th. I had a complete knee replacement. It left me with a 9 inch scar, but I'm happy for the scar for there's no more pain.

I was in pain 24/7 before surgery. I was taking (or eating) pain killers because arthritis meds would not work anymore. I was hobbling around with my cane. In fact I just gave up because of the excruciating pain, going out, sewing, visiting with friends, it was so much easier to JUST SIT. I was also stubborn. My primary care giver sent me to the orthopedic surgeon probably a year ago. I fiddled around having steroid shots in the knee, finally they didn't work. I had a series of artificial joint juice injected for a 5 week period--it didn't work either.

I just had to admit to myself that it was time for surgery. So I told the doc if nothing else can be done for it schedule me for surgery. We went over the procedure, he showed me the pictures on the wall. It never occurred to me that he was going to use a saw on my leg. Cut above the knee and below the knee--toss my real knee joint away & probably burn it up somewhere, and then drill & hammer in an artificial joint. I was in so much pain, I didn't care what he was going to do if it took away the pain.

I wasn't prepared for having to learn how to do everything all over again. And I mean everything. I had to learn how to get out of the hospital bed (any bed in general). I had to learn how to get on and off the toilet again (plus the personal hygiene involved with using the toilet). I had to learn how to carry things again. I had to do balance exercises. I had to learn how to walk again. Is there anything else I had to relearn? Probably lots of stuff but I'm too stymied here to think of them. I went to our local care center shortly after surgery--I say shortly because I came home for about a day or two. Then the home health nurse, myself, and my nephew Mike decided that I would get better care in the care center. I must say that I did. I got good physical & occupational therapy. My only concern at going to the care center was would I have a TV in my room because it time for the baseball play offs. I asked the care center what TV provider they used--was she sure their provider would carry the baseball games. Well I went with some trepidation even if I was assured they would put a TV in my room. I would have had to get a pass if the baseball games weren't on their TV. I had to know what teams were going to make it to the World Series. My orthopedic surgeon & his physician assistants were very pleased when I came in to his office for check-ups while I was in the care center. They were amazed at my progress in walking, in how flat I could get my leg to lay on the table, how straight I could hold it out. I've increased the range of motion as I've healed--from 0 to 212 degree bend!!! Amazing they say especially with no warm up before taking the measurement.

I can't say much for the food though. I think I mainly survived on breakfasts. Except for the orange juice. It was nasty--if you left it out over night it went congealed or turned into something nasty looking. I thought I would starve to death. I wrote on my intake form no onions, no garlic, no sauerkraut. Thanks goodness I said no sauerkraut because they had polish sausages & sauerkraut for dinner one night. They served me the alternate dinner, but I begged for a polish sausage--just rinse the sausage off if it's been sitting in sauerkraut. Well she was kind and brought me a polish sausage. Thank you thank you thank you. I was really hungry one day & I called my friend Melissa to see if she would be visiting that day or soon. If so would she stop at McDonald's & bring me a hamburger, fries & milk shake. My sister used to bring me snacks.

The day after surgery (still in the hospital--I was in for 4 days I think after the surgery day) I started walking with a two wheel walker. The hospital physical therapist (I didn't like him, he thought he was a comedian) made me walk farther than I wanted to. Was late keeping his appointments with me, was always ranting on me--don't look at the floor when your walking--look up into the distance. Stand up straight, don't hobble, no, no, no don't walk like a pegged legged pirate, walk normal--don't be afraid to put weight on your left knee.

The physical therapist at the care center was much more kind, but still firm with me. At least he didn't think he was a comedian. I'm telling you both my physical & occupational therapist kept telling me, "Fostine you have a death grip on those walker handles. You don't need to--just place your hands lightly on the handles." OH YEAH!!! You're not the one with a big, raging pink scar on your left knee & wearing these ugly Ted Hose to prevent blood clots. Finally they switched me out to my 4 wheel walker that has a basket under it & a seat that can be let down. My nephew Mike brought it & my cane to me in the care center from home. This is the walker I would take with me when I wanted to go places like to the store--if I got tired I could take a break & sit down to rest. This is also the walker my physical thereapist, also named Mike had me use when he was teaching me to walk outdoors. I have to say Mike walked me all over the care center. He walked me into the dinning hall so I could learn how go around & weave through the tables, knock into a few people & yell at them to get out of my way--"Hey you can't you see a crippled person is coming through, get out of my way." I survived that training thanks goodness. He even took me into the staff break room. When we went down the hall to the door we would use to get outside (marked personnel only) I said, "Ah Ha!!! I'm finally going to get in there, I know that's where my snacks are kept. When signing in it said I would get 3 meals a day and snacks. Well I hadn't been getting any snacks. Mike finally told me I would probably have to ask the attendants for a snack, but didn't guarantee the deliciousness of the snacks.) Mike even walked me into the laundry room--told them this was their new help--no, no, really he brought me in so I could look for my missing Ted Hose & night gown that got left in the shower room. Will success spoil Rock Hunter, no, I don't think so, but I was successful in finding my things. Well actually I think Mike found my Ted Hose in the basket. Then my physical & occupational therapists pushed forward very quickly because I was only staying a short time in the care center. I graduated to my cane. We skipped learning on a 4 point cane & went straight to my single point cane. It may not sound hard, but it was. Mike always asked me if I was okay with my cane--we could drop back to the 4 wheel walker, but I always said I'm okay. Liar, liar, you leaned on that cane so heavily, it's a wonder it didn't break. I'm glad it's over & I'm glad I don't have to use my cane anymore either. EXCEPTION: use a cane on uneven surfaces or on graveled areas, and I added this exception the other day. Use a cane when it's rainy & wet outside. I almost slipped down coming into the restaurant--the soles of my shoes were wet & the floor was wet from other dinners coming in, too. I told the wait person & they cleaned up the floor by the door. Other biggies are: DON'T FALL DOWN and DON'T KNEEL EVER!!! I do take my cane with me in the car whenever  I go anywhere just in case I get tired and feel the need for extra support.

Oh, should I mention driving again? It was scary. I drove after 6 or 7 weeks--I went to my sisters for Thanksgiving dinner. I was scared all the way there and back home. She hadn't planned on doing anymore big dinners but since I was just out of the hospital she relented & cooked a swell dinner. All my friends were out of town with their families. My sister doesn't drive any more and I'm too cheap to pay taxi fares. Then after that I didn't drive again unless it was absolutely necessary. I remember one day I got brave and drove up to the grocery store. I got tired just going from one end of the store to the other--discovered that I forget something way on the other end. I pushed my basket muttering to myself at the ineptitude of this store manager to take out the seating in the deli area & only have seating in the prescription area & Star Bucks Coffee area--both those areas are at the end where I had to go back to pick up what I forgot. Opposites ends of the store--what was I thinking? I got to Star Bucks pushed the basket out of the way & plopped down. OOPS AGAIN!!! A low chair, will I be able to push myself up out of this low chair? OH CRAP well since I'm sitting I'll think about getting out of the chair later. (This was another thing I had to learn & to practice, sitting down and standing up again, Mike would either lower or raise the table in the room & make me practice sitting down & getting up.) Well all my training getting up off that table helped because I made it up, I didn't have to blow on my whistle that I carry in my purse & get some healthy, young, strong kids over to put their arms under my shoulders to hoist me up. Got through the check out okay, got the groceries carried out & stowed in the car trunk okay. Got home, I had no strength left to get my groceries into the house. I called my friend Melissa, she came over & brought my groceries into the house for me. Another thank you for being my friend, thank you for being so kind, thank you for living up the street from me. She has the key to my house so in case I fall down I can call her & the aid car. Cause if I fall down I'm supposed to get in to see the orthopedic surgeon plus have an X-ray right away. I have antibiotics I need to take if I have to have invasive procedures done or go to a dentist I have to take them before having these things done. I finally decided to carry them with me so I wouldn't lose them in my  house. Oh I've digressed here--I was supposed to be telling you about driving. I have been driving a bit more & it's beginning to feel more natural. I still have to push the seat all the way back to get in and out of the car.

It' been 7 and a half months now--I'm getting used to my new knee. It doen't feel so artificial anymore--it's beginning to feel like a natural part of me. At my last visit to the orthopedic surgeon, I still had a bit of tenderness in the inside part of my knee. The orthopedic surgeon said my operation was a huge success. X-rays show that the implanted joint is in the right position. And by golly if it isn't the best looking knee replacement. He would just love to have everyone come & look at my x-rays so they can see how good it is. I don't have to go back to see the orthopedic surgeon now til October.

I still work on my strengthening exercises & the balance exercises. Sometimes when I'm out in a store or somewhere, I feel like a drunken Indian staggering down the aisle ways or hallways. I'm going to try walking. I'm told it will be good for me. I have been remiss & I'm probably lazy, yes, I know I'm lazy, there's no doubt about it, I am lazy--but I've been babying myself, too. Today I made up my mind to go out & walk. I loaded my kitties (my M&M's) into their kitty buggy. Now you should know that I'm not going to walk alone, neither will I walk with someone else who walks very fast. When I walk it's more like strolling along. I pushed my kitties up to my mail box, got my mail. Turned the buggy around and we strolled up the street, passed our house then up to the first street that turns right--I call it a sorta long block--well for me it's a long block. Mike my physical therapist at the care center always reminded me when I did my warm up walking in the morning, "that however far I went down the hall REMEMBER Fostine, you have to turn around and come back". I kept telling my kitties, we're going to make it, we're going to make it--but I'm so slow & pushing you guys is no easy feat either. I told my kitties I was as slow as a snail, but I made it up to that street, I did our "u" turn and I pushed the kitties back home. Hooray for me!!! Now if I can continue this tomorrow.

So now my kitties, my luvs, my peeps, I have other work to do now, don't miss me too much...

      --Glory-oskie Zero, I wish today were tomorrow, luv Fostine.

No comments:

Post a Comment