Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Philippines Update: 2006--2008

I try to visit the Philippines at least very 2 years. Why, because I like it there. I like the people, I like the country & I have people that I visit there.

I went almost 2 years ago & I had a lots of fun. I booked a room into a cheap hotel that was right on the South China Sea. I was on the third floor--with my own balcony. The restaurant downstairs overlooked the sea. they also have outdoor seating on the patio below. I loved it. the room was fully air conditioned PLUS the bathroom has hot water. Not all the hotels in the Philippines provide hot water. The Filippinos' believe that the cold water piped into their homes is warm enough for them to shower in. But not me!!! I'm too Americanized for a cold water shower. Nor am I in need of a cold water shower!!! I loved the warm weather, it was about 85 degrees, sometimes cooler, sometimes warmer.

In the morning I would eat my breakfast and and also order a fresh fruit plate--watermelon, cantaloupe, banana, pineapple, mango and papaya--it was delicious! The coffee was superb. I don't know how I managed it, but I would drink at least 3 or 4 cups of caffeniated coffee and maybe 2 Coke Colas, and still be able to sleep at night. Here at home if I have one caffeniated soda pop, I'm pie-eyed until the wee hours of dawn.

I went down to the beach to wade my tootsies in the South China Sea. I was walking along letting the waves gently hit upon my ankles (okay, maybe I cheated a bit & I was almost knee deep holding up my dress), strolling, enjoying the sun shinning down on me--I would turn and watch the waves coming in and turn back around and look upon the beach. I loved that warm water licking my ankles and then...SPLASH!!! I fell down. I fell into the South China Sea. I lay there while the waves kept coming in. I got my dress wet up to my waist. But you know what? I didn't drop the sea shells that I had been collecting. I don't know how I managed it, but I inched my big buttock up into the air and then I pushed myself back right side up. Then I stood there for a minute or two until I got my balance back and I made my way back up the beach still clinging to my sea shells.

I got back to our table and told my friends what happened. They were shocked at my appearance, me standing there with my dress dripping wet, but still holding on to my sea shells. To this day, I still don't know how I managed to fall into the South China Sea. When I tell this story to friends I really embellish it & have myself floating out into the boat lanes (since the tide was going out). I get picked up by a tramp steamer heading to Manila. I leave the ship & hitchhike back to my friends--of course they haven't missed me yet & I tell them my story (of course I really really embellish the story when telling--this is the encapsulated version). Falling down left big bruises on my left knee & leg, smaller bruises on my right leg. The woman who came in to take care of the room saw my bruises & offered to bring an ointment & to massage my legs the next time she came. I decided to trust her & it really helped. I've never had bruises and soreness go away so fast.

I have to admit I did nothing but eat, sleep and sit in the warm wind and listen to the sounds of the South China Sea breath new life into me. I loved to sit in the restaurant looking out the window or on the patio and have a drink, read my book, and bask in the warmth that is the Philippines. Oh I did manage to visit friends, and take day trips to surrounding towns, too.

Nine days there and I loved every one of them. How did I go wrong? I got on an airplane and came back home. That's how I went wrong. Now it's been nothing but cold, colder, and coldest. Snow more snow and the most snow we've had ever in a long, long time! When the pilot on United Airlines announced that it was currently 22 degrees at Sea Tac Airport when we were on our glide path to the air strip I should have jumped up and hijacked the airplane and taken it back to where I'd been!!! Never visit a warm country in the winter, when you come back it's too cold. But how could I resit getting away from the cold in the first place? I'm lucky to have friends that check in with me because they know that I WON'T DRIVE in the snow. Too many stupid people out there thinking they know how to drive in the snow. My friends would call every couple of days to find out if I needed anything & go to the store and bring things back for me. It's great to have such maaahvelous friends.

I look forward to my next trip to the Philippines to visit with my friends. Last year my former husband traveled with me, the first trip my sister Alice & I went together (she succumbed to cancer about 2 years ago now). This next trip I'll probably travel with my nephew. I know we'll have lots of fun!

Okay my kitties, my luvs , my peeps I'm already day dreaming of the next trip to the Philippeans & the warm lovely air & the blue waters in the South China Sea--join me if you wish in dreaming...


    --Glory-oskie Zero, I wish today were tomorrow, luv Fostine.

No comments:

Post a Comment