Sunday, May 23, 2010

...and I still sew on!

Gee, I haven't sewed for a long period of time, ages, eons--yes, not since a long time ago. At first it was because my knee hurt so much. Being in so much pain I just gradually stopped sewing altogether. Now I think it's because I've gotten out of the habit. I need to get my big butt into the chair in front of my sewing machine. I say I'm going to sew today, but it's baseball season & I'm glued to the TV, then I look up at the clock & it's 11 pm or midnight. Well, honestly now Fostine, tell the truth, you're not always glued to your TV, admit it, you're on your computer, twittering away, reading the lads tweets & their blogs, and creating what I call my fun pictures. So there has been no sewing again those days. But that hasn't stopped me from buying & collecting fabric. I admit it, I'm a fabricolic!!! I probably  have enough fabric that I could make quilts, table runners, table mats, pot holders, purses, etc. for everyone in my family & for my friends. If I applied my self that is.

As I've healed from my major surgery (left knee) I've got my sewing room in order. I cleared off the big working table, the cutting mat has been placed on there, I've positioned the TV where it can be seen from 2 sewing tables--it's company when I'm cutting things out or sewing. I've been buying fabric for these 6-inch blocks--then I'm going to cut them diagonally & sew them together. I want to make a pinwheel block quilt. Glory-oskie Zero, it all started out by my buying these "pie shape triangles" by Moda Fabric. There weren't enough different fabrics in the bundle to make a good strong contrast (in my opinion) to make a lot of pinwheel blocks. So I went out on line to Moda Fabric. I located the fabric name & ordered half-yard cuts of 6 different matching contrast fabrics. When it came I discovered it wasn't exactly the same as in the bundle I was starting out with. Oh well just stack it up, move it out, or don't do nothing!!!

Don't do nothing seemed to be the choice of the day. I left everything on the table & took a break from it. I picked out fabric for a purse. Now another dilemma. What purse pattern do I use? I kept downloading purse patterns too, to add to my confusion. Well, I washed my fabric, got it dried & stacked up. Now it too is nicely folded up sitting on my table. All the while I'm on line downloading patterns for quilts, table runners, wall hangings, more purses, wallets, thinking...must sew, must sew, must sew!!! Print those patterns out, print, print print!!! Get these patterns printed & put them in a notebook, keep them safe, keep them accessible. Must back up my hard drive or copy the patterns on to a CD. I have to keep these patterns safe. I need them to sew.

My muddle brain finally came to a decision--I'll use the Moda fabric I ordered on line to fill out the pinwheel blocks. Okay--I'm ready to iron fabric, cut 6-inch blocks. I position my ruler, pick up my rotary cutter, begin to cut and...Aaacch...my shoulder--my right shoulder is not cooperating. Now it's not my knee it's fine now. I have tendinitis in my right shoulder. I do manage to get some blocks cut & ready, & stacked on the table. Break time, break time. Break time has lasted almost two weeks. I'm going to iron the last 3 one-half yards of fabric & try to cut more blocks. I swear I will, just give me a chance to get my shoulder loose enough that it won't scream at me--OUCH--when I try to cut!!! Then another day I can lay out the triangles into pinwheel blocks preview them, stack them in order to be sewn. Then I can sit and feed them through the sewing machine. Melissa had to loan me her pinwheel block so I would not how to put these blocks together. You don't want to know, really you don't, how I was trying to put these triangles together.

I have six "Wonder Wallets" cut out & ready to sew. I also have six pincushion caddies cut out and ready to sew. Why six? I don't know, maybe I got carried away cutting out the peices, maybe six is just a nice even number. I do confess they have been cut out since last year before I had my surgery. It took me a long time to get them cut out--I didn't have much energy either before my operation. I thought when I came home from the hospital I would be all ready to sew. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! again. Recovery is just what it's called--recovery. That's all I did for months. I swear I wasn't prepared to be such a wimp when I came home from the hospital. But since I have these delicious things cut out (now that I'm feeling better & stronger) I can make time to start sewing--that shouldn't cause too much pain for my right shoulder to push fabric through the sewing machine. Ah, err, ahem I won't mention ironing the seams after their sewn. Maybe I can just use my wooden thingy-bob to press the seams the direction they're supposed to go.

Okay my kitties, my luvs, my peeps, I'm going to rest my shoulder now, thanks much for joining me once again...

    --Glory-oskie Zero I wish today were tomorrow, luv Fostine.

No comments:

Post a Comment